Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday morning

Not much to report this morning. We have kind of hit a plateau with Skyler, he is still in pain, but it seems to be controlled with the meds. He is uncomfortable and a grump, but I don't blame him a bit. We are trying to get he bowels moving again, they are big on pooping here in the hospital.

He got into his wheelchair yesterday, and lasted about an hour. It is tough on him trying to support himself upright without the use of the old tone in his muscles. He is going to have to relearn a lot of control.

We have had some visitors in to see Skyler and us which helps to break up the boredom. Thanks a lot to all who have visited, and who have called, and all of you others out there keeping in touch from afar.

Chris

4 comments:

Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

too cool for a Pirates hat?? OK, I'll wear it instead.

I think you're right re: the plateau (or valley, choose yer metaphor) things may just be at their very worse now that they're getting him up and in his chair. Having been a nursing ASS-istant on an ortho floor, I'd predict he's got a day or two of more-or-less misery before things start getting better bit-by-bit. That whole relearning how to sit is gonna be a BIG pain in th' ass (literally) for awhile, but sooner than you (and he) realize, it'll be so natural he'll wonder how he spent so much time leaning over. All ortho surgeries are like this-- you really wish for th' good ol' days right after surgery ("take these metal spine-pins and shove it!!") but in a few weeks (that is, in an ETERNITY from now) he'll be doin' ay-mazin' thangs!!

Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

instead of something Disney, how about a calendar of Florida girls in teeny bikinis?? Give 'em somethin' to look foward to-- like warm weather!!

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

When my sister and I were little and hurting my mom would say - "It's all over but the shouting."

I read and enjoy your blog pretty regularly. As the sibling of a special needs kid, I also have an appreciation for some of the things your family goes through.

I continue to send you guys my good vibes.

SkylersDad said...

Lady: Tell me more about the special needs sib, I would love to hear the story!